Looking for a flavorful, delicious & healthy item to go with some soft phulkas or dal-rice? This simple bhindi masala recipe is your best bet!
- 450 grams okra/bhindi
- 2 tbsps ghee
- 4 tbsps desiccated coconut powder
- 2 tbsps coriander powder
- 2 tsps cumin powder
- 1 tsp dried mango powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsps vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash the bhindi and let it dry. Cut each bhindi lengthwise without cutting through the entire length. They should still be joint at one end. Do this with every bhindi and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, add desiccated coconut powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, dried mango powder (amchur), red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix all the spices together with a spoon. Add 2 tsps of oil to the stuffing and mix it well with the spices.
- Take one bhindi and stuff it with the prepared masala. Repeat with the remaining bhindis. Make sure to stuff them well with a generous amount of masala. Set them aside.
- Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a large pan on medium heat. Place the stuffed bhindi in a single layer in the pan. After 2 minutes, lower the heat to medium-low and cover the pan.
- After 2 minutes, open the pan and carefully flip each bhindi. Cover the pan again and flip the bhindi again after 2 minutes.
- Keep tossing the bhindi after every 2-3 minutes or so until it’s tender and done. This will take around 15 minutes on low heat.
- Serve with roti / paratha or rice-dal. You can squeeze some lemon juice on top before serving for that extra tang or also garnish with cilantro.
A favorite in many households, bhindi is low calorie and comes packed with dietary fiber and healthy nutrients. Prepared this delicious way, the stir fry can be your favorite comfort food.